If you had a chance to read my blog about Gut Health, you will remember I mentioned that fermented foods are great to help us protect and increase our good bacteria. Well, I decided to do this recipe and I loveeee it! It was easy and the best part is that they last long so I don’t need to eat them all at once. So go ahead and start fermenting!
1 1/2 pounds of fresh Okra
4 garlic cloves
2 cups of apple cider vinegar
2 cups of water
3 Tspns of salt
1 Tspn brown sugar
1 tspn fennel seeds
1 Tbsp chili flakes
1 tspn black peppercorns
- Sterilize jars and lids – fill a pot with water, place a towel at the bottom of the pot and place the cleaned jars with the lids inside. Boil for 10 minutes
- In another pan, boil vinegar, water, salt and sugar to dissolve them, reduce heat and keep it warm
- Prep Okra: wash them and trim the stems ends to 1/4 inch
- Mix lemon, garlic and spices in the hot jar
- Place the okra in the jar and add the vinegar mixture.
- Place the filled jars back in the pot (with the same hot water used to sterilize the jars) and cook on low heat for 15 minutes
- Let it cool down and then place in the fridge
- Open the jar 2 weeks later and your okras will be ready to eat!
Why fermented vegetables? Because they help increase the good bacteria in our gut, which in return will help us fight viruses as our immune system gets stronger. Also, they contribute to reduce cravings for sugar and regulate appetite. Do you want to know more?
Subscribe to my site and you find out!